Key to the map produced in relation to the Murder of Jonathan May (1835)
1. The Ring of Bells Inn - Mr J. Endicott
2. Hill's lodging house
3. The Union Inn - Mr J. Stevens
4. The Punch Bowl Inn - Mr. J. White
5. Fisher's lodging house
6. The White Horse Inn - Mr S. Gray
7. The White Hart Inn - from this Inn the unfortunate gentleman started about 10 o'clock at night of the 16th July to go home by the line of road marked 26 and was brought back nearly lifeless about 1 the following morning and expired about 9 in the evening.
8. The Plymouth Inn - Mr J. Ballamy
9. The Shambles
10. The Market House
11. The Dolphin Inn - Mr R. Hutchings
12. Attorney Bridgman?s office
13. Splatt's Lodging House
14. The Free School
15. The Bell Inn - Mr W. Bennett
16. The Golden Lion Inn - Mr J. Langbridge
17. The King's Arms Inn - Mr J. Coleridge
18. Dr Ponsfords
19 Dr Nosworthys
20 Dr Puddicombes
21 Attorney Harvey's office
22 The Alms House
23 Foot Ways and Lane. Supposed to have been the road taken by the murderers when Mr May left the Town
24 The Old Road Leading from Moretonhampstead to Exeter
25 The Middle Road do. do.
26. The New Road do. do.
27 Mr May's stick found
28 The Body found, apparently dead
29 The murderous Bludgeon found
30 A bloody stick found some months after the murder was committed.
31 Tracks through a Barley field marked C, as discovered the morning after the Murder, supposed to have been made by the assassins in effecting their escape.