Census Routes - Moretonhampstead

From 1841 to 1891 there were six walks, three in the borough and three in the parish, and these remained essentially the same.  In our system these are given record numbers beginning A ? F.   The preambles for each section are grouped together.   In 1901 (see below) there were only four routes which we have called A-D.

 

Section 1 [SE of the Town].  Records A

1841.   All that part of the Town of Moretonhampstead which lies on the south side of Cross Street and Pound Street, beginning with John Ash?s house opposite the Workhouse and ending with the Cottage opposite the Manor Pound;  the North side of Cross Street and the south side of Fore Street, comprising back lane, beginning with the workhouse thence to and round by the Bell Inn and Mr White?s library to and including Mr Humphrey?s house thence on to the south of Greenhill and ending with the Alms House.

1851  All that part of the Town of  Moretonhampstead, which lies on the south side of Cross Street and of Pound Street  beginning with James Ash's House opposite the Workhouse, and ending with the Cottage opposite the Manor Pound, the north side of Cross Street , and the South side of Fore Street , comprising Back Lane, beginning with the Old Workhouse, thence to and round the Bell Inn and Miss Smale's Library, to and including Miss Germon's House, thence to the South of Greenhill and ending with the School House.

1861.  All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead which lays on the south side of Cross street and of Pound street, beginning with the late John Parker's house opposite the old workhouse and ending with the cottages opposite the Manor Pound, the north side of Cross Street and the south side of Fore Street, comprising back lane beginning with the old workhouse thence to and round by the Bell Inn and William Hutchings house including the police station, thence to the south of side of Greenhill and ending with the old School House.

1871.   All that part of the town of  Moretonhampstead which lies on the south side of Cross Street and of Pound Street, begining with John England?s house opposite the old workhouse, and ending with the cottage opposite the Manor Pound, the north side of Cross Street and the south side of Fore Street comprising Back Lane, beginning with the old workhouse, thence to and round by the Bell Inn and John Walling's shop, to and including the old police station, thence on to the south of Greenhill and ending with the old school house.

1881.  All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead which lies on the south side of Cross Street and of Pound Street, beginning with William Marks new Courts opposite the old workhouse, and ending with the cottage opposite the Manor Pound, the North side of Cross Street, and the South side of Fore Street comprising back lane, beginning with the old workhouse thence to and round by the Bell Inn and William Hutchings shop to and including Church View House thence to the South side of Greenhill and ending with the Girls School

1891.  That part of the town bounded on the North by a line through the centre of Fore Street beginning at the churchyard gate to a point west of Mrs Sarah Hutchings shop thence through the centre of the street due S to the centre of Cross Street at its junction with the Station Road, thence westward past the White Hart Hotel through New Street and SW through the centre of Pound Street to & including the cottage opposite the Manor Pound thence Eastwards through Courtenay Park to and including Elmfield thence by a straight line to and including Mr Crump's Cottage and the old Poor Houses at the East End of Cross Street, thence northwards to the starting point at  the Churchyard gate.   Contents:  All S side of Greenhill & Fore St, all Back Lane, all Cross St and the courts adjacent, the New Cut, Station Rd Cottages, Ivy Cottages, Under Bow, White Hart Hotel, Great House, S side of New St,E side of Pound St with adjacent Courts as well as all the houses named in description of boundaries.

 

Section 2 [W side of town].  Records B

1841   All that part of the Town of Moretonhampstead which lies on the west side of Pound Street and the south side of Court Street, beginning with Dodd's House thence to and round by Henry Tozer's House to and including Mr Ponsford's Cottage at Court;  the North side of Court Street and the South side of Ford Street, beginning with the house opposite Mr Ponsford's Cottage at Court House to and round by the Post Office to and ending with Mrs Tarr's house at the bottom of Ford Street.

1851   All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead which lies on the West side of Pound Street and the South side of Court Street beginning with Bishop's House, thence to and round by Fanny Tremlett's House to and including Mr Ponsford's Cottage at Court; to the North side of Court Street and the South side of Ford Street , beginning with the house opposite Mr Ponsford's Cottage at Court thence to and round by Post Office Corner to and ending with Mrs Tarr's House at the bottom of Ford Street.

1861.  All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead which lies on the west side of Pound street and the south side of Court Street beginning with Woodley's house opposite the school and thence to and round by Fanny Tremlett's house to and including Mr Westlake's cottage at Court; the north side of Court Street and the south side of Forder street to and ending with Mrs Peters House at the bottom of Forder street.

1871  All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead which lies on the west side of Pound Street and the south side of Court Street, beginning with John Dymond?s house opposite Mr Down's school room, thence to and round by Mrs Passmore's house to and including Mr Myrrick's Cottage at Court; the north side of Court Street, and the South side of Ford Street, beginning with the house opposite Mr Myrrick's cottage at Court thence to and round by Post Office corner to and ending with Mrs Peter's house at the bottom of Ford Street.

1881  All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead which lies on the west side of Pound Street and the South side of Cross Street beginning with Mr Haffner?s House opposite the Boys Board School, thence to and around by Mr Simon Ballamy?s house to and including Mr Edward Mogridge?s house at Court, the North side of Court Street and the South side of Ford Street, beginning with Mr Laskey?s house in Court Street thence to and around by the Post Office to and ending with Mr Gray?s house at the bottom of Ford Street.

1891   That part of the town of Moretonhampstead bounded to the South and East by a line through the centre of Pound Street beginning at Miss Mogridge's Cottage opposite the Boys Board School thence through the New Street to a point East of Mr Thorn's shop thence Northwestward through the centre of  Ford Street and including Mr Peters' house at the bottom thereof - thence by a line to Mr Purvis' house at Court and thence to starting points.  Contents:  all the West and North sides of Pound Street, all Court Street and the Courts adjacent.  All the north side of New Street.  The South side of Ford Street and the Courts adjacent.

 

 

Section 3 [Island + NE side of Town] (note this was section 4 in 1881).  Records C

1841 (via Ward).   All that part of the Town of Moreton Hampstead called the Island or George, from Mr Norrish's to the corner house both inclusive; the North side of Ford Street and of Fore Street, beginning with the cottages opposite the well at Forder and ending at the church yard; and comprising Lime Street and Eagle Court to and including the cottages at the old paper mills and carrion pit, and the parsonage.

1851 ( p. 52).  All that part of the Town of Moretonhampstead called the Island or George from Mr John White's to the Corner House both inclusive.  The north side of Ford Street and of  Fore Street  beginning with the Cottages opposite the Well at Forder and ending at the Churchyard, and comprising Lime Street  and Eagle Court, to and including the Cottages at the Old paper mills and Carrion pit and the parsonage.

1861  (Folio 25-34)   All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead  called the Island or George from Mr John White's to the Corner House both inclusive, the north side of Ford Street and of Fore Street beginning with the cottages opposite the well at Forder and ending at the church yard and comprising Lime Street and Eagle Court to and including the cottages at the Paper Mills and Carrion Pit and the Parsonage.

1871.  (Folio 27-33)  All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead called the Island or George from Mr F Peters?s to the Corner House both inclusive.  The North side of Ford Street and of Fore Street beginning with Mr Bragg?s at Forder, and ending at the church yard and comprising Lime Street and Eagle Court, to and including the cottages at Mill Brook, Carrion Pit and the Parsonage.

1881.  All that part of the town of Moretonhampstead called the Island or George from Mr Frank Peters to the corner house both inclusive; the north side of Forder Street and of Fore Street, beginning with the Braggs at Forder and ending at the Church Yard and comprising Lime Street and Eagle Court to and including the cottages at Millbrook and the Parsonage.

1891.  That part of the town of Moretonhampstead bounded on the North by a line through the centre of New Street continued to a point at the centre of the bottom of Ford Street.  On the East by a line from the last named point to the centre of Cross Street at its junction with Station Road.  On the South by a line thence to a point of the first named line opposite the Post Office.  And also that part of the said town bounded on the South by a line through the centre of Ford and Fore Streets from and including Mrs Braggs house at Forder to and including Mrs ? cottage at the Churchyard gate thence to and includng the Rectory, thence to and including all the houses at Mill Brook and thence to the starting point.

Contents: All of Moretonhampstead North of a line through Ford St (at Forder) and Fore St at the Church Gate.  Thence to the Rectory including all the houses at Millbroke and back to the starting point.  All that part of the town called the George (or the Square).

 

Section 4 [NE of the parish].  Records D.  Note that in 1881 this was section 3

1841 (via Ward)   All that part of the parish of Moretonhampstead lying on the North side of the road leading from the Workhouse (including the turnpike house) to where it joins Bridford Parish, and on the East side of the road leading from Moreton to Clifford Bridge, and including Mr John Ellis' House which lies to the west of the road at Clifford, but exclusive of the Parsonage.

1851 (p. 66).  All that part of the Parish of Moretonhampstead lying on the north side of the Road leading from the Old Workhouse including the Turnpike House, to where it joins Bridford Parish, and on the east side of the Road leading from Moreton to Clifford Bridge and including Mr John Ellis's House which lies to the West of the road at Clifford.

1861  (Folio 35-41)  All that part of Moretonhampstead lying on the South side of the road leading from the old Workhouse including the Turnpike House to where it joins Bridford Parish and on the east side of the road leading from Moreton to Clifford Bridge including Ducks Moor but exclusive of  the Parsonage. [last entries Addiscott farm, Folly cottage, Wooston Farm)

1871 (Folio 37-40)   All that part of the parish of Moretonhampstead lying on the north side of the road leading from the old workhouse, including the turnpike house, to where it joins Bridford Parish and on the east side of the road leading from Moreton to Clifford Bridge including Ducksmoor but exclusive of the parsonage.

1881. (Folio 26-28)  All that part of the parish of Moretonhampstead lying on the north side of the road leading from the Old Workhouse, including the Turnpike House, to where it joins Bridford Parish and on the East side of the road leading from Moreton to Clifford Bridge including Ducksmore but exclusive of the parsonage.

1891.  That part of the Parish bounded on the S by the road leading from the Poorhouses to where it joins Bridford Parish thence along boundary line against Bridford & Dunsford Parishes to Clifford Bridge and bounded thence by the W of the road leading from Clifford Bridge to Moreton at Millbrook and on the SW by a line from Millbrook to the Parsonage and starting point.   Contents:  all the houses within the said boundary including Ducksmoor and Leign but excepting the parsonage.  Remarks - also including Kingwell, Cossick, Great Doccombe and Wooston Farm.

 

 

Section 5 [NW of the parish].   Records E

1841 (via Ward)   All that part of the parish of Moretonhampstead which lies to the west of the road leading from Moreton to Clifford Bridge (except John Ellis's house at Clifford) and to the north of the Turnpike road leading from Moreton to Chagford beginning with Coombe and ending with the Moreton Northern Turnpike, but exclusive of the cottages at the old paper mills and carrion pit.

1851 (p. 76).   All that part of the Parish of Moretonhampstead which lies to the West of the road leading from Moreton to Clifford Bridge (except John Ellis's House at Clifford) and to the north of the Turnpike Road leading from Moreton to Chagford, beginning with Coombe and ending with the Moreton Northern Turnpike (but exclusive of the cottages at the paper mills and Carrion Pitt and the parsonage).

1861 (Folio 42-48)   All that part of the parish of Moretonhampstead which lays to the west of the road leading from Moreton town to Clifford Bridge and to the north of the Turnpike road leading from Moreton to Chagford, beginning with Coombe and ending with the Moreton Northern turnpike (but not including the cottages at the Paper Mills and at Carrion Pit and at the Parsonage) [last entries Howton then Forder Turnpike Gate].

1871 (Folio 44-47)  All that part of the parish of Moretonhampstead which lies to the west of the road leading from Moreton to Chagford beginning with Coombe, and ending with the Moreton Northern Turnpike but exclusive of the cottages at Mill Brook, Carrion Pit and the Parsonage.

1881  (Folio 43-46). All that part of the parish of Moretonhampstead which lies to the west of the road leading from Moreton to Clifford Bridge and to the north of the turnpike road leading from Moreton to Chagford, beginning with Coombe and ending with Ford Cottage late the Northern Turnpike Houses but exclusive of the cottages at Millbrook and the Parsonage.

1891  East of Millbrook to Clifford Bridge then to turnpike road leading from Chagford and all houses within these boundary lines.

 

Section 6 [All S of parish].  Records F

1841 (via Ward)   All that part of the parish of Moretonhampstead which lies to the south of the turnpike road leading from Moreton to Chagford, and east of the road leading from Moreton to Bridford including the eastern turnpike toll house, but exclusive of all the cottages at Court and Pound.

1851 (p. 85)  All that the remaining part of the Parish of Moretonhampstead which lies to the South of the Turnpike Road leading from Moreton to Chagford, and east of the Road leading from Moreton to Bridford, including the Eastern Turnpike Toll House, but exclusive of all the cottages at Court and Pound

1861 (Folio 49-56)  All that part of the parish of Moreton which lays  on the south and west of the Turnpike Road leading from Moreton to Chagford, and east and south of the road leading from Moreton to Bridford, including the Eastern Turnpike Toll House but exclusive of all the cottages at Court and Pound [last entries S. Kingwell, Boathill Farm, Turnpike Toll House, then caravan on the road leading from Moreton to Chagford near the Halfway House]

1871 (Folio 5-9).  All that remaining part of the parish of Moretonhampstead which lies to the south and west of the Turnpike Road leading from Moreton to Chagford and east and south of the road leading from Moreton to Bridford, including the Eastern Turnpike Toll House, Courtenay Terrace and Gas Works but exclusive of all the cottages at Court and Pound.

1881  (Folio 50-54). All that remaining part of the parish of Moretonhampstead which lies to the south and west of the turnpike road leading from Moreton to Chagford and east and south of the road leading from Moreton to Bridford, including Dilling Cottage late Eastern Turnpike Toll House, Courtenay Terrace and Gas Works but exclusive of all the cottages at Court and Pound.

1891  All properties on S side of Chagford Road including Halfway House then following the outer boundaries to where it joins Bridford Parish (excluding Kingwell and Cossick farms).  The former detached part of  Lustleigh named Pepperdon Estate and Farm added to Moretonhampstead by the Divided Parishes Act to be shown separately in the enumeration book of this District.  All houses in the said bounds to be included.

 

Moretonhampstead 1901

Note:  the divisions are completely different from those in earlier years;  in effect the town is divided into two sections, north (A) and south (B) of the Court Street ? Cross Street axis, and the outlying parts of the parish are similarly divided into two parts by the main roads, C being that part north of the Moreton - Exeter road and east of the Moreton to Chagford road.  Doccombe is divided between C and D by the Exeter road.  More detail of properties is given in the preamble than in earlier censuses.

A.  All Moreton Parish bounded on the north by a line from Millbrook to Dartmoor View House and thence to Chagford Cross, and on the west by a line drawn from Chagford Cross to Court House, on the south by the centre of the road leading from the Court House to Folly Cottage.  All the north side of Court Street, Fore Street, Greenhill and Back Lane, Lime Street, Kinsmans Dale and Millbrook.  Ford St, Forder Cottage, Emblefords Cottages, Highgrove and Dartmoor View House.  All the north side of New St and all the part of the town known as the George and Market Place. 

 

B.  All that part of the Parish bounded on the North by the centre of the road leading from Folly Cottage, on the west by a line drawn from Court House to Tower Park, on the South by a line drawn from Tower Park to Courtenay Terrace.  All the south side of Cross St, New St and Court St including Court House, Station Rd, Under-the-Bow, Ivy Cottages, Elmfield, Courtenay Terrace, Pound Street, Jubilee Cottages, Pound Cottage and Tower Park.

C.  All the Parish bounded on the south and east by the centre of the Turnpike Road leading from Moreton to Exeter and on the west by the centre of the Turnpike Road leading from Moreton to Chagford (except that included in District A).  Beginning at Chagford Cross and to the north and west of the Turnpike Road leading from Moreton to Exeter, beginning at but not including Folly Cotage, comprising: - Rectory, Holcombe, Coombe, Hill Cottages, Addiscott, Howton, Cattiscombe, Lynscott, Uppacott, Yalworthy, Parford, Pinmoor, Wooston, Smalridge, Clifford, Stacombe, North Kingwell and all that part of Doccombe which lies to the north of the Turnpike Road leading from Moreton to Exeter. 

 

D.  All that part of the Parish bounded on the north by the centre of the Turnpike Road leading from Princetown to Exeter except that part comprised in District B.  All that part of the parish bounded on the south by the Turnpike Road leading from Princetown to Exeter and on the east by the centre of the road leading from Chagford (except that part included in District A) bounded by a line drawn from Court House to Chagford Cross.  Dillon Cottage, Gas House, Boathill, Hayne, Hayne Cottage, Steward, Wray, Higher and Lower Willowray, Moor Wood, Lowton Farm and Cottages, Osbornes, Langhill, Sloncombe, Meacombe, Saint Hill, Halfway House, Cossick, Kingwell Farm, Great Doccombe and all that part of Doccombe which lies to the south of the Turnpike Road from Moreton to Exeter, Brinning, Bearland Cottages, Ludons Cottages and Pepperdon Hall.  A formerly detached part of Lustleigh Civil Parish namely Pepperdon.

 

The following were unoccupied in 1901.

Eagle Court  (after A082), Fore St  (after A084), Forder St  (2, after A121 and A133), Emblefords  (after A161), Highgrove (between Emblefords and Dartmoor View)

Convalescent Home (Court St S, after B014), Pound St  (2, after B022), Cross St S  (2, after B065 and after B075), Station Road (after B086)

Butterdon Cottage (after C010), Yalworthy (after C020), Parford (after C023,

Hill Cottage (after C026), Leign Farm (burnt down, after C027), Ducksmoor, Doccombe (2, after Leign), Rectory (before C028), Clifford Cottage (after C030), Doccombe (after C038, and 2 after C040)

Sainthill Cottage (after D002), Steward (after D021), Pepperdon House (after D037, Folio 42)

 

 

 

Preambles for North Bovey Census.

(There is no significant change in these boundaries from 1841 to 1901.  The locations in the centre of the village are never clear as nearly all the properties are referred to simply as ?cottage?)

A.   That part of North Bovey Parish bounded on the South by Bovey Brook and on all other sides by the confines of this Parish.   (1891 only):  Contents:  various farms and houses as well as the village of North Bovey but excepting Sanduck which by the Divided Parishes Act has been added to the Parish of Lustleigh.

B.   That part of North Bovey bounded on the North by Bovey Brook and on the West by the road called Long Lane leading from Ashburton to Meldon in Chagford by way of Barramore Bridge and Jurston Cross and on all other sides by the confines of this parish.

C.   That part of North Bovey bounded on the East by the road called Long Lane (including Vitifer Mine) and on all other sides by the confines of the Parish. 

 

 

 

Preambles for Manaton Census 1901

A.  All that part of Manaton Parish known as the West Part:  Challacombe, South Sands, Heatree Farm & Cottages, Baracott Cottages, Torhill, Ford Farm & Cottages and Criptor.

B.  All that part of Manaton Parish which lies to the east of the centre of the road leading from the east end of Langland Lane to Haytor Down by Town Lane and Wreyland over the bridge of the Becky River.  The Rectory, Town Barton and all other houses in, or forming part of, the village of Manaton, Langstone Farm & Cottage, Neadon, Little Silver, Horsham, Water and cottages at Water, Mount Pleasant Cottages, Park Villa, Freeland, New Cottages and Becky.

C.  All that part of Manaton which lies to the west of the centre of the road leading from the east end of Langland Lane to Haytor Down by Town Lane and Wreyland over the Becky River:  Wingstone, Cross Park, Mill, Hayne, Southcott, Hound Tor Farm & Cottage, Swinesdown, Hedge Barton, East Lodge, Holwell, Greator, Leighon, Beckaford, Deal Farm and Cottage.

 

Preamble for Lustleigh Census 1901

All the Civil Parish of Lustleigh including a formerly detached part of North Bovey Civil Parish namely Sanduck comprising Farm House and two cottages.

 

 

 

 

 

 

^ TOP ^