Books and pamphlets
- G.D. Adams and R.J.J. Simkins, A History of the Inns and Taverns of Moretonhampstead (Moretonhampstead LHS, 1996) [Index]
- J.A. Benton, The Parish Church of Saint Andrew, Moretonhampstead (revised ed., 1974)
- E.F. Clark, George Parker Bidder, The Calculating Boy (KSL publications, 1983)
- George Friend, Memories of Moretonhampstead (Devon Books, 1989; reprinted 1994) [Index]
- R.O. Heath, Sparrowhawk.
- R.O. Heath, The Murder of Jonathan May (Moretonhampstead LHS, 1995) [Index]
- Trevor James, Prisoners of War in Dartmoor Towns (Orchard Publications, 2000)
- David Keir, The Bowring Story (Bodley Head, 1963).
- R.S. Lambert, The Innocence of Edmund Galley (Newnes, 1936)
- M.A. Simkins, A Short History of George Parker Bidder, 1806-1878 (Moretonhampstead LHS, 1995) [Index]
- Mark Stoyle, Loyalty and Locality, popular allegiance in Devon during the English Civil War (University of Exeter, 1994)
- Rev. W.H. Thornton, Short Devonshire Stories (Townsend, 1915)
- Cecil Torr, Small Talk in Wreyland (originally published privately 1918-23; several reprints available, the latest published 1996 by Forest Publications).
- Arthur C. Wardle, Benjamin Bowring and his descendants - a record of mercantile achievement (Hodder & Stoughton, 1939)
- C. Wilson, First with the News, the History of W.H. Smith 1792-1972 (Jonathan Cape, 1985)
Journal articles and short excerpts
- Obituary of Charlie Laycock, Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 75 (1943), pp19-20.
- Lewis B. Bowring (ed.), 'Sir John Bowring', Autobiographical Recollections of Sir John Bowring (King & Co, 1877), pp44-50
- Anthony Greenstreet, 'Parole Prisoners of War around Dartmoor', Dartmoor Magazine, 48 (1997), pp14-15
- Anthony Greenstreet, 'Rev. William H. Thornton, an old west-country clergyman', Dartmoor Magazine, 58 (2000), pp24-5
- G.W.G. Hughes, 'Moretonhampstead', Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 86 (1954), pp75-88
- S. Laithwaite, 'A Dutch officer in Moretonhampstead, c. 1807' in Todd Gray (ed.), Devon Documents (1996), pp116-119
- M.A. & R.J.J. Simkins, 'Lord Hambleden and Moretonhampstead', Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 123 (1991), pp167-188 [Index]
- Elizabeth Stanbrook, 'A Dartmoor legend: two French generals at the Ockery, Princetown', Devon Historian, 42 (1991), pp3-8
- A.C. Ellis, 'Moretonhampstead: Some historical and other details', Torquay Directory, Wed. Mar 21 (1926)
- Stanley.D. Chapman (ed.), The Devon Cloth Industry in the Eighteenth Century: Sun Fire Office Inventories of Merchants' and Manufacturers' property, 1726-1770 (Devon & Cornwall Record Society, N.S. vol. 23, 1978), pp97-100
^ TOP ^