SAINTHILL

The Sainthill family took their name from this place, which is mentioned on the 1332 Subsidy Roll. It seems not to have been a part of the manor of South Teign but a free tenement. The Sainthill family remained in possession until at least the sixteenth century: John Seynthill (Sentyll) took action against John Sentyll of Morton and William Sentyll regarding detention of deeds relating to tenements in South Tenge in 1533-38 (TNA C 1/891/21-22). The family was armigerous by 1620: see Vyvyan (ed.), Visitations of Devon, p. 663). In 1840 the freehold was owned by Thomas Bishop and occupied by William Taverner. It amounted to 43 acres. [IJFM]

^ TOP ^