MARDON HOUSE

The original rectory site. When Rev’d. Dewey was appointed in 1901, the old building was found to be very dilapidated, and W.F.D. Smith, as patron of the living, built a new Rectory nearby. This remained the rectory until the time of the Rev. Leadbitter in 1930, when it became a private house and what is now 'The Old Rectory' in Cross Street was used instead. A painting of the original house, which was known to be at least 16th century in date, is in the vestry of the parish church. Stephen Landor drew attention to a seventeenth-century glebe terrier which records ‘3 ground floor rooms with 6 chambers above’ for the rectory, which almost certainly relates to this now-vanished building. [IJFM]

^ TOP ^