This land does not fall in the land mapped for the manor of Moreton in 1790 but seems to have been alienated from the manor at an early date and held as a free tenement of the manor. A sale of land in 1567 by William Brimblecombe of North Tawton, baker, to John Agget of Moreton, weaver, and Nicholas Caseleigh, tailor of Moreton, describes ‘a close of lands containing five acres called Langhill within the manor and parish of Moreton in the tenure of John Agget, between the Queen’s highway to Chagford in the north and east, and the lands of John Wannell directly in the east, THE LANDS OF JOHN CHARLES GENT IN THE SOUTH and the lands of John Cornysshe in the West’ (WCSL Enrolled deeds, no. 834). Langhill Moor and Langhill Meadow fell into Sloncombe in 1668 and thus seem to have been part of the manor of South Teign (4930 B/T/M/175).
The house is listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85023) as ‘House, originally farmhouse. Circa early-mid C17 with C19 extension, modernised in early C20 internally... The hall retains its C17 fireplace which has a chamfered wooden lintel with hollow step stops, splayed dressed granite jambs chamfered at the edges, a shallow shelf part way up the back and arched granite oven opening in the right-hand side. This was evidently a good quality C17 house and is relatively unusual in the preservation of its orignal facade in a virtually unaltered state.’ [IJFM]