This land does not fall in the land mapped for the manor of Moreton in 1790 but seems to have been alienated from the manor at an early date and held as a free tenement. It is first- mentioned on the 1332 Subsidy Roll. In October 1348 it appears as ‘Houghton by Moreton Courtenay’ in a deed (Feet of Fines, vol. 2 (1939), no. 1397). The Tozer family way established at Howton by 1332. John, son of William Tozer, took legal action against William and John Corset over ‘Houghton in the parish of Moreton’ in the fifteenth century (TNA C1/56/207). John Tozer ‘of Howton’ was buried in the churchyard in 1714. In the churchyard there is a 17th century chest tomb with a reused slate memorial of 1813 to Charles Tozer of Howton. William Tozer was the freeholder in 1840, when the estate amounted to 105 acres and was in the possession of Susanna Harvey. [IJFM]
GREAT HOWTON. For many years this was the home of the Tozer family, some of whose tombs are in the churchyard. It is undoubtedly a medieval site. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85021) as ‘Farmhouse. C17 or earlier, much altered in C19... There is also known to be a C17 date carved in plaster in a first floor room.’
HOWTON LANGHILL. Benjamin Tozer had property in Howton Langhill otherwise Lower Langhill, Ford Street, Court Street, Strongs Ground, Higher Brendon otherwise Great Brendon, Cold East, otherwise Little Brendon, and elsewhere, in 1747 (Devon Record Office, 4930 B/E/M/38).
MIDDLE HOWTON. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85028) as ‘Cottage. Circa late C17 with C20 additions.’