In SW England, Fore Street is equivalent to High street.
4 FORE STREET. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85083) as ‘House, formerly partly used as shop premises. C16 or early C17, largely rebuilt in early C19, and with probably late C17 or early C18 rear wing... The rear wing is a rare survival of a small 1-room plan, 3-storey town house, with a completely intact internal plan.’
10 and 12 FORE STREET. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85084) as ‘Pair of cottages in a row, probably 1 house originally. Circa 1845. Probably a rebuilding of an earlier structure after the fire of 1845.’
14 and 16 FORE STREET. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85085) as ‘Pair of cottages in a row. Circa 1845, probably a rebuilding after the 1845 fire in Fore Street... This pair of cottages has a little altered mid C19 front complete with all its sash windows and forms a group with Nos. 10 and 12 and No. 18 Fore Street (q.v.). Included for group value.’
18 FORE STREET (THE CHIMES). Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85086) as ‘House, originally the police house before police station opposite was built in circa 1863. Circa 1845, probably soon after the 1845 fire in Fore Street... The left-hand front room was probably the police station leading to a small cell in room behind. The right-hand front room was a living room with a kitchen behind. Above the ground storey cell there is another cell... This is an almost entirely complete mid C19 police house.’
BOWRING LIBRARY. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 438381) as ‘Library. 1901/2 by Sylvanus Trevail... The library was a gift to the town by Sir Thomas Bowring, a notable wool trader and benefactor.’
OLD METHODIST CHAPEL